Federal prosecutors today charged State Rep. Derrick Smith with accepting a $7,000 cash bribe to write an official letter of support for a daycare center that he believed was seeking a state grant.
- State Rep. Derrick Smith charged with accepting bribe [Chicago Tribune]
- State rep: 'I don't want no trace' of $7K bribe [ABC-7]
- Illinois lawmaker arrested for taking bribe [WBEZ]
- State Rep. Charged with Bribery [Fox Chicago]
- State Rep. Derrick Smith Arrested On Bribery Charge [CBS Chicago]
- State Rep. Derrick Smith arrested on bribery charge [Crains]
The City Colleges of Chicago will build a new, $42.2 million, 200,000-square-foot building at Olive-Harvey College to train students for careers in transportation, logistics and distribution. City Colleges will pay $10.6 million toward the construction tab, and the state will kick in $31.6 million.
Chicago police are abandoning plans for an outdoor shooting range on the Southeast Side because pair of eagles have built a massive nest along the Calumet River next to the site.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers on Friday pleaded not guilty to the federal tax evasion charges he’s facing and then blasted U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald as “a wild man on a train” and declared “somebody needs stop him.” Beavers accused Fitzgerald of driving three people he investigated to suicide.
- Beavers Pleads Not Guilty, Calls U.S. Attorney ‘Worse Than J. Edgar Hoover’ [CBS Chicago]
- Cook County Commissioner William Beavers pleads not guilty [Chicago Tribune]
Concerns about public safety in Chicago during the upcoming G8 and NATO summits in May apparently don't extend to those who will be participating.